The interconnected aspect is one that is more likely to be known about me. For my Senior Seminar class last semester, I wrote an essay that asked questions about how people change as they study Peace and Conflict Transformation. My assumption being that if people are going to be successful at Peace and Conflict academically, they will need to become more aware and more skilled at dealing with conflict intra- and inter-personally. This is often known as the "peace must come from within" cliche.
The second aspect that I want to describe here is a little more difficult, and so I will use an example from the summer camp. I helped set up a penalty shot game. As we were playing though, many of the kids tried to break the order of turns and take a number of extra shots. Each time, I tried to stop them - many times I could not - scolded them a little and tried to return to the order. As I was doing this, some of the other volunteers shook their heads at me, non-verbally suggesting that I should either give up the activity or let the kids decide. I did not though, but stuck to it.
The reason is because of the second aspect. When I look at that situation, I do not just see kids shooting a football, but I see the relationship of power and fairness. I see the struggle of certain groups that are unable to get there legitimate way, and the desire of other groups to dominate. I see the temptation to let the situation sort itself out and take a position on the sidelines. When I am in that situation and I am getting frustrated, I remind myself that this is probably training for when I will need to stand up to real disparities; situations when I do not have the power of physical strength or authority but when backing down leads to diminished rights at the least, and genocides at the worst. I honestly view dealing with children today as training for significant portions of my later life.
In a really strange way, I relate that one kid that is trying to steal the ball and use it for himself and his friends as any imperialistic country. While I'm not sure if I see myself as the United Nations, I do see this small struggle as a microcosm of very real world problems. Because the world has had many issues when the struggle for equality has been suppressed or ignored, I cannot ignore that struggle, no matter how small of a form it may take. Maybe it is crazy, but it is the same reason why I try to challenge my friends to be better friends, not just for the sake of their current relationships, but so that they will be better wives, husbands, mothers and fathers.
The question that remains is this. Is it good to think in this way? It provides me with a significant amount of motivation and allows me to change my interpretation of struggles into challenges, but are there downsides that I do not realize? Am I in danger of taking the true meaning out of events and falling into messianic legalism (someone who takes on suffering only to follow the rules; ya I made it up)? Will this thought process lead me on a path towards attaining those long-term big picture goals, or will I fall short surrounded by a life of unenjoyed 'trainings'?
Well, whatever happens I'll probably do the same thing on Monday.
1 comment:
Your question is important for both your personal character building but also for your role as an educator. Some children learn by being told how to act and relate and understanding why later on when they reflect on their interactions, but I think others would also learn by seeing for themselves the inequalities that are present in certain interactions. I think their ability to see the presence and importance possible emanicaption from these oppressions is very important. I suppose we should try and balance these two relations of direct and teaching and guiding and indirect teaching through participants reflecting on situations. I'm sure there is a different balance depending on age groups and their ability to think and refelct.
It's good to hear from you man.
Peace.
Post a Comment