Saturday, September 27, 2008

Leadership 2

Before you read this you should read Leadership and read the comments. It would also help if you knew the people leaving the comments but that is unavoidable.

If I came across a blog like that and left a comment not knowing what the theory is I would probably say:
Determination/Work Ethic
Vision
Humility

If I was to leave a comment as the author fulling the question, I would probably add understanding. Let me explain why.

Six people left a total of 17 traits. There were some duplicates but I counted 12 separate traits that a leader should have. Now I respect the opinions of my friends; they are not experts but they are all intelligent people. Why do our answers vary so much? Is it okay to just write it off as a relative truth, that leadership is different to every person and that's just how it is. I don't want to go all Postmodern on you but I almost agree.

I think that when people think about leadership they have a tendency to think about perfection. Maybe they should and maybe they shouldn't but our society teaches us that the greatest honor is to be a leader. If you are a leader, you are put onto a higher pinnacle, you are put on a different scale. So it is natural to want a leader to have the qualities that you think are best.

I'm not surprised that Iceman put wisdom, that Breaden put encouragement, that Grbreg put humility, that Rabbit put loyalty, that Laura put passion, that Erika put honesty. I'm not surprised because I think that those qualities are incredibly important to each of you personally. You want a leader to exhibit what is best in you, or at the least, something you'd like to exhibit.

I can't follow someone if they don't at least work as hard as I do. I can't believe in someone if they don't know what they're doing. I will not respect a leader if they do not put other people before themselves.

I do not think that understanding is necessary for leadership. I think that it could help but it isn't in my top three. But if I could, I would want my leader to have it. Because, I will be more willing to be lead if they embody something that is that important to me.

I think that leadership really boils down to one major thing. The ability to gain the respect of those you are trying to lead.

Well that's the first step at least.

No comments: