Wednesday, January 7, 2009

7 Days til the GREATEST DAY OF YOUR LIFE

The last time that phrase was used it was for high school grad. Now in truth I had a good time at my grad and I would even do it again if I could but the one thing I could do without is the lead up. Ladner has a bit of a tradition of making a little too big of a deal of its only graduation ceremony, I can't imagine many other schools bring in the bag pipes, but the real problem was the girls. Some had dates lined up in grade 10 and most had their magical day all planned out. Luckily, within my group of friends, the girls were pretty tame. No gradzillas but there were enough cameras to synthesize that euphoric feeling.

Grad was not the greatest day of my life and it wasn't even the greatest day of my life up to that point. It represented a period of my life, provided a little symbolism and an excuse for some to dress up. It was fun.

In seven days I board a plan for Toronto, later that evening London and the next day Johannesburg. I'll be the furthest I've been from home, truly overseas for the first time and I'll experience the longest period away from my family. On the other hand it is 24 degrees there right now.

There's been a fair amount of lead up. I haven't seen anyone from Outtatown in a while but most of their facebook statuses have something to do with Africa. I'm assuming the airport is going to be a good time because I can imagine a few of them popping a blood vessel in anticipation (you can't really blame them if they live in the prairies).

I'm excited. I've told a lot of people that it's going to be fun, not just as an easy way to end the conversation but because I actually believe it too. I'm just not sure if it's going to be the greatest day of my life. I haven't gotten super excited for it yet and I won't until we actually get there. Then if it's good, maybe I'll let it be the greatest three months of my life...so far.

One thing I do want from those three months - brokenness. In myself and if I may be so bold as to ask it for those I am traveling with. I believe that is the most valuable thing that will happen during those three months. Now I just have to go in with open arms and a more open heart.
This is a very good map of our travels, probably made by but definitely taken from my friend's blog.

P.S. I have also updated my calender for the next three months. If you want to know specific places I will be, check that out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

rest assure, i am not excited. see you soon.