My sister's due date was the 23rd. Since then we have received a nightly phone call on order of my mother to make sure that we know when that baby comes out. I'm going to be an uncle soon.
Because of these recent developments, I've had a little extra time to think about what type of uncle I want to be. There are the obvious choices like giving them Cheerios instead of organic O's or always showing up with a gift. I did find a really cool small South African shirt but apparently it was too small because I haven't seen it in two months. Whatever happens, I do want to be a cool uncle.
I think I've figured out the key to that. The important thing is to not try and claim territories that are naturally parental. Diapers, for example, or when their cranky. I'll handle laughing and airplane rides. I'll just let my sis and her husband take care of the joys of parenting while I teach this kid how to catch. And that's my secret weapon, sports. It's just the law of supply and demand. I'll give the kid the things his parents can't or just don't want to. I'm already looking forward to the sex talk on it's 6th birthday.
1 comment:
go get em' tiger
Post a Comment