I've quite enjoyed my first 29 days of Outtatown. One of my biggest worries was that most of the people on my site would be immature. Interestingly enough, there are about 6 or 7 people who are older than myself and no one ridiculous. I was worried that it would get cliquey. There are groups of friends but nothing unreasonable; actually quite good. I was also worried that people would be just in it for the fun. This one will take a little more to explain.
During one of our first sessions, Jerry our speaker had just finished telling us about himself and wanted to know a little about each of us. My understanding of the situation was to give your name, where you were from and maybe why you did Outtatown. Well the first guy asked what we were supposted to say and Jerry said, "Just tell me a little about yourself" and so he did. By the time everyone was done, we had gone over the time for that entire session. We had shared some pretty personal stuff and there was even a tear or two. I was shocked. This was our second day together.
Just recenlty we had a guy named Nathan talk to us. His big thing was idols. Without getting too much into the details he talked for a day and a half and then in our last session he got us all together in a big circle. He said he had said too much and now it was our time to talk. It was a little uncomfortable for 2 mintues, until the girl next to me spoke. About half the site shared what seemed like the most important events of their lives. I think the tissue box pasted by me five or six times. Even in the silence, it felt good.
I watched people and saw bits of their soul pour out from their mouths and eyes. It was honest and real, with 38 people in the room. It's the type of moment that defines a group.
No comments:
Post a Comment