His name is not actually Sugar Ray. It's a nickname but one that I don't know the origins of. All I know is that Patty calls him Sugar Ray, that's good enough for me.
Ray spoke on poverty. Because I had taken the Introduction to International Development at CMU which should have been taught my Ray if he wasn't on his sabbatical, I knew the basic layout of his session. First, we defined what poor was. Second, we found an example of someone we knew who we thought was poor. Third, we got into wealth or capital.
For the third part, we wrote out five things that we considered valuable wealth. Later we put them into five categories. Natural, Human, Financial, Physical and Social. The five are as follows:
Natural capital: Environmental resources (e.g., land, water, biodiversity)
Human capital: Skills, knowledge, health, ability to labor and to pursue livelihood strategies
Financial capital: Savings, livestock, supplies of credit, remittances
Physical capital: Basic infrastructure (e.g., transport, energy, market access, communication, irrigation facilities)
Social capital: Membership of groups, networks, access to wider institutions of society
I had one social, one financial and three human. That doesn't surprise me because that's where my priorities are. We also talked about a wild card sixth category of Spiritual capital. All this brings up the questions of where you put your faith. As you can see, I put my faith mostly in myself and within a few of my equally financially blessed friends. If Ray had not brought up Spiritual capital it would have never crossed my mind.
Where is your faith placed?
No comments:
Post a Comment