Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Speaker 4 - Pierre Gilbert

Pierre, like Sugar Ray, is a CMU prof who visited us for one day. I'd like to say that he talked about two things, ultimate truth and then spiritual warfare, but I'm not sure what was spiritual warfare and what was a recipe for bacon. I'm going to stick to ultimate truth.

We talked about Postmodernism. About how one guy said that "I define postmodern as incredulity towards metanarratives". Which is pretty much a skepticism to all major ways of viewing the world. We got into the basic flaw of that system in that it tries to remove absolutes by stating an absolute and talked about how we really only use Postmodern thought in unimportant matters (For example, not in crime). We then hit on the hidden truths that A) No one is beyond the reach of God and B) we are free.

Now I liked Pierre because he was funny and we had a good chat after the session over some lunch but his session was pretty weak. I feel that our hidden truths were made by a Sunday school teacher and I'm not sure if I even agree with B. C S Lewis says that "I was not born to be free--I was born to adore and obey" and I agree more with him than Pierre.

In the chat that we had afterward, I was talking to Pierre about the truth of the Bible - specifically creation. He told me about this guy named John Bottero who is a world expert on Assyrians and their culture. Now this Bottero fellow apparently says that the Hebrew creation story is so advanced for it's time period relative to the neighbouring cultures that either Moses got it from Aliens or it might actually be true. I thought that was pretty cool so I wrote the name down and forgot about it until now. Well, I just spent 30 minutes researching Jean Bottero because John Bottero is an auctioneer and I've found nothing that supports Peirre's claim. I've found nothing to the affect that Bottero was even a Christian, maybe even the opposite as his book "Birth of God" seems to dictate at first glance.

I don't know if someone got the wrong information somewhere but I'm skeptical if this Bottero thing is actually what Peirre thinks it is. If you happen to know something about this or have better luck than I do researching it, let me know.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

is it bad that i don't even remember some of these?...now i remember why my dad told me to have smart friends... or acquaintences.