Almost every morning I walk to work. It takes me about half an hour but I get to go through Nativity Square and the major market. Though I am often approached for food, juice, clothing and taxi rides, no one is particularly pushy. Sometimes people ask me where I am from but I am generally ignored. Near Wi'am there are two Banksy paintings. I only have a picture of one so far though. I plan to add the other one soon.
The mornings at Wi'am start at about 8am. I either attempt to make tea or tea is already ready when I get there. More recently I have eaten breakfast at Wi'am but often the first hour is spent sitting around and chatting. The rest of my morning is usually spent with visitors coming in and gardening. Since I've arrived there have been four trees planted (Zoughbi encourages groups to plant a tree). In the afternoons I have often done research or met with visitors. I wrote a short piece about the Hamas-Fatah reconciliation and I am currently working on a proposal letter for a small support grant.
I think that Wi'am officially closes at 4 or 5pm, but Zoughbi is often involved in mediations during the evening. I have already participated in about five; two of which I didn't realize were mediations until they are over. They have all been in Arabic. I have also joined Zoughbi to visits with friends and family, official city council meetings, church meetings, a wedding, errands, and to pay condolences to a family who's daughter died. I have also had the opportunity to tour the refugee camps and witness a nonviolent protest. I often get home between 9 and 11pm. I have had two evenings that I would classify as free time.
Except for the Honey Nut Cheerios that I have bought for myself, 100% of my meals have had flat bread and humus. Except for two, every lunch has had falafels. Chicken is very common but I have also eaten lamb and beef. In terms of cost, food is even a little bit more expensive that Canada, but so far, I have rarely paid for any meal other than my lunch. Even my lunch is bought and brought for me, all I do is pay.
There are quite a few internationals that have already come through Wi'am. KURVE Wustrow, from Germany, stayed for four days, and a women from that organization will be at Wi'am for the next three years. There have also been three separate groups from England (one was called Amos Trust - I can't remember the name of the other two) and another group from Eastern Mennonite University. I spent an evening with some of the people at EMU and one of the Ph.D students and I had a nice chat about Yodarian theology. He suggested that I check out seminar after I graduate. In the last few days I have also ran into a few Canadians. Two were students from Ottawa. One is good friends with some other people from CMU. I also met a couple who lived in the downtown east-side of Vancouver (by choice). In a week for two, there is supposed to be about 8 or so American students arriving to stay for about a month. Right now, there is an English lady who will be volunteering for two more weeks.
No comments:
Post a Comment